Thursday, November 10, 2016

Day Five

Last night was very active for Yaz.  James was being weined from his pain medication to a much lower dosage and that caused for lots of outbreaks of him being more lucid.  They did another chest X-ray very early to take a look at how his lungs were clearing out.  They looked much better than yesterday so they decided to give it another go on removing his ventilator.

SUCCESS!!!

Around 1pm today James' vent was removed!  It was successful and he transitioned very well.  They removed his feeding tube, foley and two IV lines as well.  I got to hold James for the first time since Saturday and it was heaven.  I cuddled him for a bit them we settled him back into bed so he could get more comfortable
                                   
                                       

The afternoon continued on with many positives.  James continued to have more alert times where he was making purposeful eye contact.  He acknowledged a few of my questions with a shake of the head for no and yes.  He was alert when Al (dad) came in to visit and reached for him while Al was talking.  It was so awesome.  But James must have known I was feeling left out because just a little while later he said mom.  I don't need much more to make today hit my top 5.  

They have also begun fitting James for the helmet he will need to wear to protect himself while waiting for reconstruction. I am hopeful they will have it completed tommorow.  They also tell me they will be beginning PT and OT for him tommorow too.

As tired as I am, I don't want to leave his side.  I know I should get some rest because tomorrow brings some more miracles.  I cant wait to share them with you.
                                





No comments:

Post a Comment