Saturday, November 12, 2016

Day Seven

Last night after Laura (my sister in-law) was kind enough to hang out with James and let me nap-Al stayed late to keep James company so I could head back to bed and get some more sleep. Our nurse Cheryl was great. She helped Al get comfortable and kept James company when he outlasted Al in the sleep department. Al was able to last until 1:30am - James made it until 5am from what Cheryl tells me. When I went to check in on James I saw he was sleeping and that Al never made it out of here last night.

The day went well for James, he sat in his chair again for another 2.5 - 3 hours. We played with his cars and I got some great words along with it. Go, yeah, mom. He settled into bed and was able to settle in for a nap that sadly only lasted about and hour. He was sleeping a little too good for the nurses comfort - his oxygen levels were a little lower than they'd like to see so we had to wake him. He still has a lot of junk in his lungs to work out so that was part of the problem during his nap.  His new nurse friend, Kara took great care of him today.  The possibly of moving out of the PICU is looking better and better. They are keeping a close eye on his lungs to make sure they are tip top before moving him. Neurology has given him the all clear on their end. I think they also would like to see him in his helmet prior to going upstairs. We thought we may have it today but no such luck. I'll rest easier once we have it for him. 


Nathan came to visit today and that was the highlight for James. He was so excited to see Nate. He said Nathans name too. Nathan was off to spend the night at Auntie Laura's house and James was sad to see him go. But we'll have him visit again tomorrow.

As the night progressed his words became more and more frequent. Letters, numbers, counting, and of course lots of "mom". The same thing that drove me nuts just over a week ago is the sweetest sound I've heard. We can see James' silly personality shining through and rapidly making its appearance again. His smile keeps getting stronger each time he makes it.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

         
Watching The Good Dinosaur in his chair. 



2 comments: