Thursday, November 17, 2016

Day Twelve

Al reported that James had a tough time settling in last night and then ran into a small issue with one of his staples. The gauze in his hand ended up getting stuck on one of his staples. Fortunately Al was able to get him unstuck then called for help. The doctors answer for the night was to simply wrap his head in gauze until he morning when they'd probably take out the loose staples. 

When I came in I saw him all wrapped in gauze, his lead lines falling off and bouncing around his bed. The nurse told me the bandages would stay for the next week until the staples are scheduled to come out all at once. I expressed my concern (or more like told them it was ridiculous that sounded). The nurse was very patient and said he would page neurology again about it. When the PCA came in to do his weight she asked me to put on his helmet-which I found didn't fit with all the gauze wrapped around his head. So I refused to put it on. She left and paged neurology again. When the doctor came in she agreed on removing the wrap and lifted many of James' orders. He's clear to walk around with me, play in the playroom and even leave the floor (in his wheelchair). They are bringing in another assessment team to review his progress and make sure there isn't something else within his rehabilitation that they're missing and need to add. 

James' occupational therapist came to meet with him this morning and based on what physical therapy wrote from yesterday's visit and what she's witnessed herself she has decided to clear him.  Erin was amazed at how quickly he has recover and doesn't require her services. 

James and I continued to play for several hours while we had some visitors. By the time Kim (PT) was ready to play-James was ready for a nap! All this fun really wore him out so Miss Kim didn't get any work in today.

The rest of the day went well. After James' nap we had some additional visitors and cruised the halls some more. I bet we did several miles today. I should start wearing my Fitbit!

My emotions ran the roller coaster today. I feel like they've finally caught up with me. Matter of fact I tear up just writing this. I'm reminded daily how fortunate we are that James is ok and how this could have taken a very different course. My life has been changed by all of this and I know Al's has too. I am forever humbled by this whole experience and eternally grateful for all of the support we're receiving. 

Daddy's on duty for sleepover and we'll see what tomorrow brings. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment